Feminine Care Products: What to Avoid!
what's really in a lot of feminine care products?! Some scary stuff!! Fear not, we're here to tell you some nasty ones to avoid.
This is not a topic commonly talked but it's really important because we're constantly exposed to toxic ingredients through mainstream products. Vaginal health is of utmost importance and we should be super mindful about ingredients.
Let's start with feminine wipes. Personally, I'm not a fan and for good reason. Many feminine wipes contain chemicals of concern. Women’s Voices for the Earth researched women’s experiences using feminine wipes. They compiled over 150 examples of online product reviews from 11 different brands of feminine wipes, which detailed associated adverse health effects. Specifically, complaints of itching, burning, irritation, allergic reactions and bleeding rashes were commonly reported. In addition, there were several reports of associated urinary tract infections.
Here's a list of problematic toxic ingredients found in some brands of wipes:
1. Iodopropynyl butylcarbamate (IPBC)
2. Parabens (methylparaben, propylparaben, ethylparaben, butylparaben)
3. Formaldehyde releasers (DMDM hydantoin and 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol)
5. DMDM Hydantoin
& why are these allowed in our products? SMH.
What can you do about this?
- Choose 100% organic cotton based wipes
- Free of dyes and fragrances
- No Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), or MIT
- GMO free ingredients
- Certified organic wipes
Now, on to tampons. This one particularly upsets me, almost all of us use them.
So, what's lurking in there that shouldn't be?
1. Dioxins and Furans (from the chlorine bleaching process)
- Ha, beware of this. I talk a lot of "fragrance" in cosmetics and it's just as bad in feminine care products. Remember, companies are legally allowed to include TONS of ingredients within this one word
- They can hide undisclosed chemicals of unknown toxicity
4. BPA in applicators
What can do you do about this?
- Tampons made from 100 percent organic cotton
- Unscented tampons
- Plant-based, BPA free applicators
- Make sure the brands state their tampons are made without chemical fertilizers, pesticides, insecticides, or bleaches
It's convenient to go to the store and buy body wash, especially mainstream brands. However, they're often laden with chemicals and ingredients that can throw off your pH balance. Stay away from the following:
1. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
4. Perfumes and Synthetic Fragrances
6. Benzethonium Chloride
7. D&C Red 33
8. FD&C Yellow No. 5
What can you do about this?
- Stick to feminine washes with natural surfactants that are derived from coconut oil or vegetables
- Avoid products with the word fragrance. Look up all of the ingredients on the EWG (Environmental Working Group) and if they're above 1-2...bye
Taking just a few extra minutes to research and read about the products you're using is worth it. Your body will thank you!
A lot of this information comes from Women’s Voices for the Earth- super informative!